Most of the people are suffering from skin cancer known as the Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Generally, skin cancer is classified into two groups as melanoma and non-melanoma. The squamous cell falls in non-melanoma skin cancer category.
Causes, occurrence and risk elements:
The non-melanoma skin cancer that is Squamous Cell Carcinoma could appear in normal skin or the skin that has been swollen or wounded. Ultraviolet radiation is another reason by which the skin gets cancer. The skin that remains open in sun mostly prone to cancer.
The Bowen’s diseases are known as the primary form of Squamous Cell Carcinoma cancer. This kind of cancer does not move towards the nearby tissues. A type of precancerous skin wound known as actinic keratosis could become a squamous cell skin cancer in rare cases.
The Squamous Cell Carcinoma skin cancer caused due to following risks:
- Those people who have green or blue color eyes, skin has light color, or red or blond hair
- Skin that mostly remain exposed in sunlight
- Skin injured due to sunburn earlier
- Old age people
- Those who have x-rays several times
- Skin that remain exposed in chemicals
The Squamous Cell Carcinoma skin cancer commonly found in hands, ears, face, neck or arm. It could even spread in other body parts. The major symptom of this skin cancer is the increase in the size of bump, having rashes or oily surface.
The earlier stage of this skin cancer is that it looks as crusty, oily and big reddish patch. Any injury that does not get healed may be a sign of squamous cell skin cancer. Its sign could even be a skin lesion, wart or mole.
Indications and tests:
Any person who suffers from any skin problems needs to consult a doctor. The doctor will first check color, size, texture and shape of the areas that are suspected to have changes.
In case, if a doctor gets assured of any skin diseases, then he will take a small piece of skin and send it to the laboratory for testing. This test confirms whether a person is suffering from a Squamous Cell Carcinoma skin cancer. This test is known as the skin biopsy that is classified into different types. This test helps in confirming about the skin cancer.
A patient gets treated on the basic of the location and size of the skin cancer.
The following things are involved in its treatment:
- Excision: The skin cancer is removed by cutting it and then stitching it together.
- Electrodesiccation or Curettage: The cancer cells are scraped, and electricity is used to kill the remaining cells.
- Crysurgery: Cancer cells are frozen to kill them
- Medication: Cream is applied containing 5-fluorouracil or iniquimod
- Johns Surgery: Removing out the skin layers until no cancer skins were found.
- Photodynamic therapy: Cancer is treated using light.
Time taken for a patient getting well soon depends on how earlier cancer is being diagnosed. If people suffer from skin cancer, then they should go for regular check-ups.
The Squamous Cell Carcinoma spread out rapidly in body parts compare to basal cell cancer.
Consult a health care provider
Go for check-up if any change in the skin is found as
Ways to cure skin cancer:
- Apply sunscreen while going out in sun
- Apply sunscreen having SPF (sun protection formula) 30 minutes before leaving. Apply it again frequently after desire time period.